Announcing Our First Ever Teens Can Write, Too! Contest
At TCWT, we’ve received a number of requests to do a teen writer contest. For a while it was only a possibility, but recently, we figured “Why not?” And so, we’re doing it. We’re starting our first ever Teens Can Write, Too! contest. *cue applause* Here’s how it will work:
The prompt is… drumroll please… “Beginnings.” Your job is to write a 200 word story to this prompt. It can be any genre excluding erotica. (And hopefully, you’re not writing erotica in your teens. Because, you know, it’s a little weird…). The deadline for entries will be at 11:59 PM on Tuesday, May 22nd and the winners will be announced on Saturday, May 26th. Three winners will be chosen.
To enter, you must be a teen (or younger) or in your early twenties, but no older than 23. However, it is preferred that you be a teenager.
And, like any contest, there are pretty prizes. Each of the three winners will get their stories featured on TCWT, as well as a choice (1st place winner gets first choice, 2nd place winner gets second choice, etc.) of one of three eBook copies of some awesome YA books! These authors have generously donated their books to our contest, so please show them your thanks! Now, before we do anything else, let’s tour these books, each of which is followed by a short blurb. Click on the covers for more information.
Farsighted by Emlyn Chand: Advanced Chem? Easy. Psychic powers? Gotcha. Save the girl? Uh…
Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein: In PRETTY AMY, Amy’s prom night arrest results in a hilarious, heart-warming story of finding herself, falling in love, and getting a life.
Larkstorm by Dawn Rae Miller: LARKSTORM is the story of seventeen-year-old Lark who will sacrifice everything to be with Beck, her assigned mate — until faced with an impossible choice: she must kill the boy she loves, unless he kills her first.
They sound awesome, right? Definitely check them out even if you don’t win!
Finally, when sending your story, you must include:
- The title
- The name you want to be used on our blog if you win. This can be a pen name, a character’s name, your real name, or just your first name—whatever. Please, please, please tell us the name you want used. Please. I beg of you.
- A link—this is optional. There is absolutely no pressure to provide a link, and it doesn’t matter if you don’t have anything to link to. But if you have a blog, Twitter account, or Facebook page you want linked to if you win, let us know in your submission. If we don’t see a link in your submission, you won’t be linked to if you make the top three.
- The story must also be 200 words (a little more is fine) and pasted into the body of the email. No attachments, please.
- Verification emails will be sent by us once we receive your submission. If you don’t hear back with a verification email after two days, please comment below saying so.
- Send your submissions to TeenRiter[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Again, the deadline for submissions is May 22nd!
Questions? Comments? Concern? Let us know!
On your marks, get set, write!
Posted on May 11, 2012, in Contests and tagged farsighted emlyn chand, high school writing contest, larkstorm dawn rae miller, pretty amy lisa burstein, TCWT, tcwt contest, teen writer contest, teens can write too, teens can write too contest, writing contest. Bookmark the permalink. 25 Comments.