Announcing #TeenWriters Chat
(First off, for any of you waiting on the results of the contest, the editor is extremely busy right now so it might be a little longer than expected. We’ll post the results as soon as we get them. Thank you for your patience.)
Today we have some exciting news to announce. *drumroll please*
TCWT has teamed up with Write On to bring you a Twitter chat… for teen writers! Yes, that’s right. We’re going to be holding a chat every other week, similar to #yalitchat, except for teens. It’s supposed to be a fun way to meet other teens, talk writing, reading, and other randomness–anything, really. For those of you with blogs, I bet you’ll meet some new people with blogs worth following, and you’ll get new followers yourself. Win-win all around. It’s also amazing to connect and talk with other teen writers online. I’ve met some seriously awesome and talented teens through Twitter. (You know who you are. *cough*)
Right off the bat, I know a good amount of you aren’t on Twitter. You don’t have to feel pressured into joining it, but getting a Twitter account takes literally five minutes to set up if you’re interested in joining the chat and is, in my humble opinion, extremely fun. Did I mention it’s also a great way to meet people? Because it so is.
Anyway, here are the rules of the chat:
- It’s going to take place every other week on Tuesday nights from 8:00 EST to 8:30 EST. (Sorry for those of you in the UK. We’re going to try and figure out a way to have some weeks take place at a time where you guys can join, too. For now, if you’re interested in joining, you can tweet responses to the topic ahead of time, and we’ll respond to them/disucss them when the chat begins.)
- The chat is restricted to young writers 13-20 years old. While adults are welcome to help promote it, this chat is mainly for young writers to talk with each other, and we really don’t want adults to come in shooting advice at us in the middle of our chat.
- The first chat will take place on Tuesday, August 14th. The topic for this chat, since it’s the first one, is “Introductions.” Hopefully we’ll have a large amount of teens there, and we thought it’d be good to get to know everyone first. We’ll be asking questions as the chat progresses, and you’re welcome to do the same.
- In case you haven’t participated in a Twitter chat before, you add the the hashtag #TeenWriters (in this case) to the end of your tweet when you’re participating. When the chat begins, do a search of the hashtag and then follow that hashtag as the chat progresses. During the chat, you can ask questions, respond to others, give your opinion on something–whatever–just make sure every tweet ends with our chat hashtag, which is #TeenWriters. So, if you want to ask a question, your tweet should look like this.
Why do you write? #TeenWriters
Does that make any sense?
- For those of you who are interested in the chat, please follow our #TeenWriters Chat account for updates on the chat, the topics, and more. We’ll follow back teen writers.
- You don’t have to join every chat. You’re welcome to if you want, but it’s all about how busy you are, whether you like the topic, etc. That said, if you’re interested in the chat, it’d be nice if you could go to our first one so we can get an idea of what we’re looking at. Thanks!
Anyway, all that aside, I think this can be a lot of fun, and we’re trying to find a way to fit in UKers, too. Really sorry for abandoning you. /: Maybe we’ll have a special chat every now and then with a time so you guys can participate? We’ll see. But if you’re in the UK and are potentially interested, it’s good to let us know now so we can see how many are being left out and we’ll work it out from there. It might mean a potential day of the week and time change for the chat. Again, follow our chat Twitter account for updates on this.
Questions? Concerns? If the day of the week doesn’t work for you or something I said doesn’t make sense or if you need help joining Twitter or anything, really, just comment below. We’re going to be pretty flexible about changing the date and time, so if something doesn’t work for you, please let us know. If enough of you can’t make Tuesdays at 8 EST, we’ll try and change it. Just stay tuned. Also, any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you guys! Hope to see you all there!